You know what you’re saying to patients, but what are patients hearing? The truth is, nine out of ten adults struggle to understand and use health information when it’s unfamiliar, complex or jargon-filled. Limited health literacy costs the healthcare system money and results in higher morbidity and mortality.
Get a boost in your ability to assess patients’ health literacy and to respond accordingly by taking this free online class offered by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Effective Communication for Healthcare Teams: Addressing Health Literacy, Limited English Proficiency and Cultural Differences, will help you:
- Identify at least three factors that influence a patient’s health literacy
- Describe at least one example of how health literacy, cultural competence and limited English proficiency each affect health communication
- Identify at least one tool or resource to assess a patient’s health literacy level and language assistance needs
- Describe at least one method of communication that will improve understanding in patients with limited health literacy
- Identify at least one factor that influences communication.
Continuing education credit is available when you complete the course.